Favorite Search Engines
- wolframalpha :
the math, science, engineer and technical search engine
: fast load up but said to be focused on business
- http://topsy.com/ : a search engine
powered by tweets. Has some interesting features you can use to find things
that are not always easy to get using other methods
- www.hotbot.com : is
known as a meta-search engine
- The ditto serach engine went to court over the thumbnails it used. The company was also taken over by another company. Things get complex–but it seems that ditto is no longer a search engine–the link leads to a site selling products.
A List of Search Engines from wiki. some of this list is repeated here.
- http://www.thomasnet.com Originally a green book listing a directory of industrial product information.
Meta Search Engines
- http://clusty.com/ : does a good job of
: seems to be a different sort of search engine based on digitized media
related to Google and uses tag words.
Natural language (you can input a question for example)
Natural language search engines include Bing
Open Source Search Engines
If your interested in open source projects, check out the Wikipedia. As a
programmer you might get the chance to play around with open source software
code that could have a huge impact on peoples lives.
- http://sciencenet.fzk.de/ : gets
unusual results and I can not help but like that.
Some people resent being searched for using these devices. I suppose they
resent such searches since it may pick up information they wish they had not
Social Search Engines
- rollyo : Rollyo, you can easily create your own custom search engines – we call them
Searchrolls – and explore, save, and personalize those created by others.
Questions and Answers
Visual Search Engines
is an example of a downloadable extra–I do not depend on these usually as
they in turn depend on the system you use!!! I prefer portable (USB) search
engines if you tend to go that path.