As your social media starts to gain steam and moves past various barriers at full blast, the need to monitor what’s going on becomes much more important.
Often costs are associated with monitoring what is actually going on, but these additional operating costs can be prohibitive. Free ways to get the information to monitor whats going on is possible–but this often comes at a cost in time rather then money.
In case you are wondering why you should pay for information, it has to do with how information is collected from us and then sold as a product. while this may seem unsavory, in business it can be a useful tool to understand what’s going on. Here is an article on that:
- Data Aggregators: Stealthy background programs that spy & keep an eye on you: http://bit.ly/jRCedr, http://pear.ly/R9MX.
There are some good free tools that are out there, but if they look too impressive, then it’s possible that they will eventually go over to a pay for use option, and that gets us back to operating costs. So what’s needed is something that might be around for a while and stay free of costs.
Another problem for those that want to monitor performance of social media: What exactly is useful to observe? In part that depends on what your focus is. If it is sales for example, then monitoring the effort it takes to convert advertising into sales might be of interest as an example. The business model can apply to non-profit situations and might also give you a good idea of things you need to monitor (this model will be mentioned again later on as well). The link to this information is provided here: ☯ The Business Model [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-1tM
What follows is not a solution that fits all situations, but does cover some things that might be of interest.
Focus: what your operation or business is doing and it’s relationships to others
- While the following might seem more like the domain of white lab-coat people or science fiction, it is in-fact a daily reality that a lot of businesses have to face if they want to create new businesses or remain in operation during changes that occur in our world at an ever increasing rate. What is it? Well it’s the ability of a entrepreneur to create ideas or hypothesis and this article attempts to delve into this concept: IMNH (I’m New Hypothesis) or ImaH abbreviation: http://bit.ly/b7EHAu. One of the main concepts that come from this very long article is the idea that you have to test your idea to see if it works in the real world, but not feel that you have to give up if your idea does not work. An idea (some times called a hypothesis) can be altered, and retested for as long as you have the patience to do that. In part: this re-testing of ideas is the reason that so many people seem to hesitate for a very long time, before they feel ready to start a business.
- ☯ The Business Model [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-1tM
- Business and cash inflow [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-9K (examples only)
- International Banking: Swift Codes or BIC codes [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-9T.
- Collaborative decision making: http://bit.ly/vsNnIM
- Presentations: Create Amazing Slideshows, Edit Photos, then Share! [article]: http://bit.ly/oiGLjO
- Make sure you have all your contact details on all websites, blogs, micro-blogs, and information you give people.
- If you are selling stuff, make sure that a person can buy your stuff either using shopping trolley software, buttons, or links to websites that sell your stuff. This buy option should be put out wherever your product or service is mentioned–don’t be shy about this.
- If you are not selling stuff, it may be you are performing some other function or service that benefit others. If so, then make sure that you give a chance for every one who you are interested in to see a mention of what you are doing, and chance to gain that beneficial thing or take part in it (service, or function). I mention function here because sometimes the people you get together with are more part of a event or team and take part in what you do–a club for example is run by the club members, and you may perform a function that will ensure that group continues to be a successful organization rather then take on the traditional role of resource gather, manufacture, sales and/or service provider. Also not everyone that deals with you will take on the role of a customer–that is only one of many possible relationships that could exist.
- A short biography, business card, or short spool (often called the 1 minute elevator presentation) is handy to describe you, your products, and/or services. This is important and if possible and space permits: include this with the contact details. contrary to popular beliefs, a bio blur the distinction between a person and a business (or comapany): “The ultra short (rock star) bio: http://bit.ly/fS7YaL ; also useful for business orientated teams.“
- This might be a possible way to get funding: http://www.kickstarter.com/
- Here is a way to move large files around the internet: Google Drive: Now access your files, even the big ones, from wherever you are : http://wp.me/p10Tww-16h
Global communications with the entire earths population means loosing your per-conceptions of how things should be and actually seeing how things are.
Probably some of the stuff here borders on skills that are often associated with a skilled negotiator–someone who negotiates business deals between groups of people.
- Are We Living In A Perfect World? http://bit.ly/fUfuLi, http://pear.ly/TZeX
- Make the effort to learn the various customs and thoughts of those you deal with, as showing respect, and making people all over the world feel comfortable is no easy task.
- Also learn when to back off, as some societies (or groups of people within a society) can live in very abrasive environments that makes them angry, and/or abrasive to anyone they come into contact, and that may include their own close friends and family.
- Other people can be very clan orientated, distrusting any strangers making it almost impossible to gain such people’s confidence or liking–amazon tribes might come to mind, but the fact is the equivalent of such “lost” tribes do live in the modern world also–sometimes even in plain sight.
- Also when discussing things with people, try and take their situation into account. A hungry person will probably not appreciate long discussions of all the great food you just ate. Nor may you enjoy a daily discussion of drugs, violence, weapons, and gory details if you happen live in a peaceful society.
International Time Frames
- A real-time, live, global map of tweets: http://bit.ly/hXdGZv and a world time zone link is included.
Tracking the flow of information (how the marketing campaign is going)
- twitter hash tag: Hash tags and what they mean: http://bit.ly/b4EMSr
- management of WordPress posts, tags, and categories so people can find your stuff: How WordPress Lists Posts, Pages, Categories, & Tags work [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-1ap
- This will tell you what people do not follow you: Friend or follow can help rebuild and strengthen your network: http://bit.ly/o58DE1
- Another obvious way to track how key words are going in various search engines is to type them in to the search engines yourself.
- Search engines can also help you track things like specific things you tweet about in twitter. this can give you a rough indication of how well your messages are spreading.
- Part of the incredible strength of Google is that they are innovative and provide many really useful tools: http://www.google.com.au/intl/en/options/. While you can’t monitor the internet 24 hours a day personally–you have to sleep sometimes, Google Alerts can monitor keywords and might of great interest to you: http://www.google.com.au/alerts?hl=en.
Shortened link to this article: Monitoring The Performance Of Your Social Media [article]: http://wp.me/p10Tww-1wX
—End of Article—
Material below this point may or may not be supported by the article, author, or any of those people or organizations that may be mentioned in the above article.
Any material below this point could be adverts; endorsements; paid to click sites (often they may try and trick you into clicking on them using graphics and/or words, or false comment boxes for example); misleading material; material that is for, or against the above article; or other types of material that is not part of the above article.
In single article view: this article does have an associated “Leave a Reply” and “Enter your comment here…” comment box below this point. You should get used to where this comment box is located before you try and leave a comment for this article.